Emeriti faculty are retired Stony Brook University faculty/librarians who have been
invited by the University President to append the term “Emeritus/Emerita” to their
title of academic rank following their retirement. Emeriti faculty may retain library
and institutional email (@stonybrook.edu domain) privileges.
Emeriti status will be considered if all of the following criteria are met:
- The individual is a tenured or tenure track faculty member (“Faculty”). (Tenured faculty
may be full-time or part-time. Tenure track faculty must be full-time.)
- The Faculty is retiring pursuant to Article XV, Title B or C of the SUNY Board of
Trustees Policies (see
- The Faculty is in good standing.
Prior to submission of the Emeritus request to the Provost Office, a review should
be conducted to determine whether the Faculty is eligible for emeritus status.
The review is conducted jointly by Human Resources (HR) and the Office of Equity and
Access (OEA). The chair of the department/academic unit should submit the request
for review to
BOTH following units and attach their approvals to the file:
Please indicate in the Comment Section on the PeopleSoft form requesting the retirement
if there is interest in becoming an emeritus/a. Employees who are eligible will be
notified that they may append the "emeritus/emerita" title to their academic rank.
Once granted, the emeritus faculty will be added to the Emeriti Faculty Association
Benefits of Emeritus/a Status
- Retain library privileges and institutional email account
- Join the Emeriti Faculty Association to maintain and build connections with colleagues
- Engage in exclusive and sponsored Association events, including symposia, conversations
with University faculty and leadership, and more
- Gain access to the Emeriti Faculty Space in the Wang Center
Current Emeriti Faculty Association Membership